Saturday, January 9, 2021

Earl Grey Hot Chocolate

 
Earl Grey Hot Chocolate:  I came across this delicious recipe in one of my British magazines, and I simply had to try it.  It was lovely!  My daughter and I enjoyed it, alongside homemade oatmeal toast and jam.  Perfect and simple comfort food, which we enjoyed during our annual viewing of Little Women.  Special times, indeed!
 
 The recipe is quite simple and of course, there are options.  You can make the hot chocolate yourself, using this recipe here.  I tend to do that when I am having hot chocolate, but I had just been given some instant hot chocolate packages, so I opted to use those, instead.  Choose your own adventure:  homemade option or a mix. Either will work well.

The basic recipe, for two servings:
 
2 cups milk (I opted for homogenized, which is a bit richer than 2%)
2 packages single serving hot chocolate
 
Combine these and warm over low heat, mixing regularly.  Simmer, but do not boil.
 
Turn off heat.  Add 5 Earl Grey tea bags;  cover and let steep for 5 minutes or longer.

Pour into two mugs or tea cups.  The original recipe called for whipped cream, but we skipped this step and didn't miss it.  Grate some chocolate on top, as a garnish. I used dark chocolate.

This was really tasty :)  If you are using the homemade hot chocolate recipe, you can vary the amount of tea bags, depending on the amount of milk you are using.  You can see that for this basic recipe for two, the ratio is 2 cups milk to 5 tea bags.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment